Thee days so much information is available on the internet it almost seems silly write an in-depth review of a location… but here’s a onsen in Izu called Hokkawa 北川 that I recommend.
It’s right on the ocean and super basic.
Here’s some tips:
- Leave your valuables in your car or hotel because there are no lockers.
- If you don’t have a towel, you can buy the usual long thin Japanese onsen towel for 200 yen from the ticket salesman.
- The baths for men and women are split (only recently it seems). The men’s side has two baths, one hotter than the other. The women’s side only has one bath.
- There is no toilet. Take care of it first.
- It’s a super basic wooden shelter with some plastic baskets for your clothes and a shoe rack. Just get naked and get in the water. That’s it.
if you’re in Izu and looking for a great unique onsen experience, check it out! Might be fun.